Adolescent and Young Adult Program
The Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Program at Magee Rehabilitation Hospital (Magee) assists patients with SCI, from ages 14 to 25, to remain active in school and achieve their academic goals while they are in care at Magee and after discharge. When a young patient is admitted to Magee due to a disabling spinal cord injury, they undergo inpatient rehabilitative care for weeks and, often, many months. Without the AYA Program, young patients are at risk of falling behind in school, withdrawing completely and failing to return to school after discharge. Magee’s Adolescent and Young Adult Program assists young patients to remain active in school while in care at Magee, return to school with their disability, teaches them about their rights to an education as a person with a disability, and provides support after discharge to continue to help them graduate on-time and start college or work.
Magee will serve 30 young patients with SCI who will participate in the AYA Program and benefit from its services.
1. 80% (24) will stay active in school and maintain their academic studies while an inpatient and receiving rehabilitative care at Magee.
2. 70% (21) will advance academically while an inpatient at Magee.
3. 80% (24) will successfully return to school after discharge.
4. 90% (27) will receive career counseling with a focus on working with a disability.
5. 95% (29) will receive academic counseling with a focus on attending high school or college with a disability.
The Adolescent and Young Adult Program at Magee is a model program for young people with newly acquired spinal cord injuries that positively impact the quality of life and educational aspirations of vulnerable young people with SCI. For these reasons, the AYA Program is an improvement upon standard models of care for young people with SCI. It addresses the educational needs of young people which includes pursuing their education and achieving important life milestones such as graduating from high school, starting college and graduating from college.
(CHN: COandI chn:wdg)